Essex Food Festival Demo Recipes
Essex Festival of Food & Drink 2013
Smoking Demonstration Recipes
Eucalyptus smoked free range Chicken
Free Range Chicken Supremes
Dried Eucalyptus leaves
- Using a Le Cruse Wok with racking, an old saucepan with a wooden steamer or a deep baking tray with a wire rack.
- Add leaves to cover bottom of pan or tray.
- Cover with lid and place on a medium heat to start the leaves smoking. This should take approx. 5 minutes
- Place the chicken Supremes on the racking and smoke over heat for approx. 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and leave lid on for a further 5 mins.
- Remove Chicken and serve either hot or cold.
- Serve on a summer salad with a light dressing.
Hay & Lavender smoked salmon
Salmon Fillet cut into 2cm cubes
- Using a wooden steamer over an old saucepan.
- Wet hay and squeeze out water. Place in bottom of pan. Cover with Dried Lavender flowers.
- Place over medium heat for approx. 5 mins or until smoke starts to fill the steamer.
- Place the Salmon cubes in and sprinkle with lavender flowers leave in smoker for approx. 3 minutes. (Vary the time depending on size of salmon)
- Remove from the steamer and serve.
- Serve two cubes as a delicate starter. Place a slice of Halouimi on each salmon cube and glaze until melted.
- Garnish with micro herbs and Essex Strawberries
- A great summer accompaniment is chilled Elderflower Cordial injected with a little smoke if you have a smoking gun.
Infused Elderflower Cordial
(Makes 3 bottles and should be diluted ¾ water – 1/4 cordial)
25 heads Elderflowers
3pts boiling water
2 sliced lemons
2oz citric acid crystals
- Add all ingredients into a big bowl
- Pour over the boiling wate
- Steep fro 24 hours
- Strain through muslin into sterilized bottles
- Dilute by 1-4 and pour into a glass with ice
- Using the smoking gun, add a little smoke for approx. 2 seconds to keep it subtle.
Smoked Point Clear Oysters over Sea vegetables
Point Clear Oysters
Sea vegetables inc Samphire
Lime / Black Pepper for garnish
- Open oysters keeping the juice in the bottom with oyster and discard top shell. Cut the attaching muscle
- Add Sea vegetables to a small serving pot with a lid.
- Place the oyster on top and sprinkle with black pepper
- Ignite the sea vegetables and place the lid on
- This will cut off the oxygen to the dish yet keep a little of the smoke.
- Serve after approx. 1 minute
- Garnish with sea vegetables / samphire / lime juice