Wren Kitchen Demonstration Recipes
Wren Kitchen Demo Recipes, March 2013
Watercress Soup with Crème fraiche
This soup is great served in clear bowls or shot glasses and served with a tint spoonful of crème fraiche and micro herb for garnish.
Play around with quantities and reduce certain ingredients to taste.
Potato – 2
Leek – 1
Celery – 2 sticks
Garlic – 1 clove
Shallot – 4
Watercress – 2 large bunches
E V olive oil
Crème fraiche & Micro cress for garnish
- Sweat shallots and garlic in olive oil, add potato, leek and celery. Add water to cover and cook for approx. 20 mins or until the potatoes are well cooked.
- Liquidize and pass.
- This will form the base of the soup and will not require thickening.
- Wash and add the watercress to the soup base and liquidize again until smooth and vibrant in colour.
- Garnish with crème fraiche
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with pine nuts
served with crostini,
This variation of the traditional Hummus is great when made fresh at home and can be altered to your own taste. Keeps really well in the fridge too with a covering of olive oil.
Canned cooked chickpeas 2×7 oz
Red Peppers x 2
Garlic cloves 4
Lemon 2 (juice and zest)
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Cracked black pepper to taste
Paprika 2 tsp
1/8 pt E V Olive oil
1/8 pt water
20 oz pine nuts
Fresh bread baguettes cut and bake with olive oil and sea salt.
- Cover red peppers in olive oil and roast in oven for 30 mins
- Remove from oven and cover with cling film until warm
- Remove seeds and skin
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse
- Combine the chickpeas, Red pepper flesh, lemon juice, zest, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, oil and water in a food processor, and blend to a creamy purée.
- Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste.
- Stir in lightly toasted pine nuts
- Serve on warm toasts as lovely finger food
Puff pastry 1 x 350 gm pack
Grated parmesan 250g
- Heat oven to 220c/fan 200c/gas 7.
- Unroll puff pastry,
- Cover with grated Parmesan, then fold in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to the thickness of ½ cm.
- Cut into 1cm strips, then twist the strips 3-4 times. Lay on a baking sheet, scatter over more cheese and bake for 10 mins, or until golden.
- Leave to cool, then keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Sticky Toffee Pudding with Bourbon
Dark brown sugar 13 oz
Self-raising flour 12.5 oz
Butter, melted 125g
Baking powder .3oz
Dates 10 oz
Water 5 oz
Icing sugar for dusting
- Mix Flour, sugar & baking powder
- Add melted butter and mix
- Add eggs slowly one at a time
- Bring cut dates to boil with water and add to cake slowly
- Line tin with baking paper
- Cook 175 c for 30 – 40 mins depending on oven
- Cool down and cut into even squares before serving warm